Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant - Critical Care
Company: Mayo Clinic
Posted on: May 10, 2022
Why Mayo Clinic
Join the authority in medicine and partner with the nation's best
hospital (U.S. News & World Report 2020-2021), ranked #1 in more
specialties than any other care provider. At Mayo Clinic, we
believe there is a better path to healing that humanizes the
practice of health care and inspires hope in the people who need it
most. You will be part of an amazing diverse team committed to
solving the most serious and complex medical challenges - one
patient at a time.
Mayo Clinic offers a variety of employee benefits. For additional
information please visit . Eligibility may vary.
Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants in the Department of
Critical Care Medicine on the Phoenix campus work within diverse
care teams comprised of physicians and NP PA's with 24/7 in house
coverage, as well as trainees who rotate through the department.
Together, they provide care for a wide variety of patients in a
high acuity, dynamic and collaborative ICU. The NP PA in this role
will rotate 13 hour day, night, weekend, and holiday shifts with
the Medical ICU and Multidisciplinary ICU teams. Between the two
ICU teams, the NP PA will care for both medical and surgical
patients requiring ICU level of care, including cardiac/heart
failure, cardiothoracic surgery, ECMO, neurology, neurosurgery,
hematology/oncology, bone marrow transplant, and solid organ
transplant patients. The NP PA will partner with the intensivist to
assess, diagnose and treat patients, as well as perform procedures
within the scope of practice. The NP PA will support the three
shields of Mayo Clinic by not only participating in patient care,
education and research but, will also play a key role in
representing the department of Critical Care Medicine in quality
improvement projects, subcommittees and workgroups.
Level II Requirements:
- In addition to meeting the above requirements, the NP must meet
two to four of the following:
- Spend at least 50% of days based at the hospital (rounds,
service, or shift work)
- Perform specialized procedure(s)
- Provides evals and consults with indirect supervision at least
50% of days worked
- Spend at least 10% of days as First Assist in surgery
- Take call assignments (Primary and/or ED)
- Provide Weekend/Holiday Service.
1 year experience in Critical Care and or Critical Care
post-graduate fellowship or residency training required.
For Nurse Practitioners:
- Current RN license, Advanced Practice Certificate, and
Prescribing and Dispensing Certificate in Arizona
- Acute Care Certification as nurse practitioner by an approved
- Basic Life Support certification is required upon hireFor
- Graduation from a university program approved by the
Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician
- Certification by the National Commission on the Certification
of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- Active Arizona License issued by the AZ Regulatory Board of
- Basic Life Support certification is required upon hire
- Excellent verbal, written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Flexibility to adjust schedule to meet patient and staff
- Ability to manage time and stress effectively and adapt to
unpredictable situations within the patient care setting.
- Two to five years of clinical experience preferred.
- Primary care, acute care, and/or surgical experience
- Strong computer skills in an Electronic Medical Record
- Must attest to ability to care for adolescent patients.
License or certification
- Must provide evidence of application for DEA certificate upon
hire, obtain DEA certificate within 90 days of hire, and maintain
certificate thereafter unless waived by department/division.
- Maintains ACLS and PALS as required by specific department or
- Maintains specialty certification as required for specific
- Current RN licensure from Arizona, or valid compact state
license with Arizona license obtained within 90 days of start
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with
internal equity when job offers are extended.
Hours / Pay period
13 hour shifts (6am-7pm; 6pm-7am). Rotating days, nights, weekends,
Rotating weekend requirement.
Over the next four years, Mayo Clinic is making significant
investments in both the physical and technological future of health
care, through doubling the size of the Mayo Clinic campus in
Phoenix, inclusive of practice, education, and research activities.
Mayo Clinic's campuses in Arizona are located in Phoenix and
Scottsdale, in the beautiful Sonoran Desert. The region is known as
the Valley of the Sun, a metropolitan area with more than 4 million
residents in 25 cities and towns.
With Phoenix being the fifth largest city in the nation, this sunny
"desert metropolis" offers the amenities of a big city in the midst
of a strikingly beautiful, rugged, southwest landscape.
Scottsdale frequently earns praise as a highly desirable place to
live. The city's more than 200,000 residents enjoy a vibrant mix of
culinary hot spots, arts and entertainment, professional and
collegiate sports teams, and community resources. The region's
desert climate promotes an outdoor lifestyle with a full complement
of sports and recreation.
As an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer Mayo Clinic
is committed to creating an inclusive environment that values the
diversity of its employees and does not discriminate against any
employee or candidate. Women, minorities, veterans, people from the
LGBTQ communities and people with disabilities are strongly
encouraged to apply to join our teams. Reasonable accommodations to
access job openings or to apply for a job are available.
Keywords: Mayo Clinic, Avondale , Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant - Critical Care, Healthcare , Avondale, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!