Director of Legal Services
Company: Liberty Utilities (Canada) Corp
Posted on: September 1, 2019
Director of Legal Services
Legal & Regulatory Affairs
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified
generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10+ billion
of total assets. (APUC) delivers continuing growth through an
expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects,
organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission
businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty Utilities) provides rate
regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to
over 750,000+ customers in the United States. The transmission
business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and
natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Liberty Power, formerly known as
Algonquin Power) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term
contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and
thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 1.5+
GW of installed capacity.
Our vision is to be the utility company most admired by customers,
communities and investors for our people, passion and
Liberty Utilities owns and operates regulated water, wastewater,
natural gas and electric transmission and distribution utilities in
twelve states, delivering responsive and reliable utility services
to over 780,000 customers. Liberty Utilities currently operates in
Arizona, Arkansas, California, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas,
Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, Oklahoma and Texas. Liberty
Utilities owns and operates seven regulated utilities in Arizona
and three regulated utilities in Texas. This position is for the
Director of Legal Services for our regulated utilities in Arizona
and Texas with additional legal work and support for our companies
in other states.
This position reports directly to the Vice President, Associate
General Counsel, Liberty Utilities and is primarily responsible for
providing and managing any and all necessary legal services
relating to our operating companies in Arizona and Texas with
additional legal support to our operating companies in other
states. This position will work daily with the President of Liberty
Utilities, Arizona/Texas, the President of Liberty Utilities (West
Region) and other business group leaders in providing necessary
legal services in those states. This position will be part of the
growing Legal Department providing legal services to all the
Liberty Utilities operating companies in the United States, our
corporate office in Oakville, Ontario and internationally.
A major emphasis will be on handling regulatory matters associated
with governmental regulatory agencies, including the Arizona
Corporation Commission (ACC) and the Public Utility Commission of
Texas (PUCTX), as well as providing legal services relating to
contracts, business matters, acquisitions and additional
operational matters. This position will act as lead counsel on all
legal matters for Arizona and Texas, and may be asked to work on
other various matters, including those in other Liberty Utilities
states of operation.
* Act as in-house subject matter expert on all regulatory, business
and operational legal issues impacting lines of business in a
dynamic and changing industry. Work closely with the President,
Liberty Utilities, Arizona/Texas and the accounting, customer
service, engineering, finance, operations and regulatory
departments in Arizona and Texas. Also will work closely with the
President, Liberty Utilities (West Region).
* Handles complex legal issues and provide advise and counsel
related to utility regulation including litigation, tariff review,
proposed legislation, compliance requirements and customer
complaints; provide research and writing as to regulatory
requirements; assist in the preparation of filings and assist in
the preparation of testimony in proceedings, including rate cases,
while developing close relationships and representing our regulated
utilities at the Arizona Corporation Commission (ACC) and the
Public Utility Commission in Texas (PUCTX).
* Develop legal and business strategies relating to capital
projects, regulatory filings, operational matters and other
* Review decisions of courts and regulatory agencies to determine
precedent in regulatory and legal matters.
* Draft and revise legal opinions, regulatory filings, and rules
and regulations, including explaining and defending company goals
* Provide legal advise on probably legal or other impacts of
proposed changes in rules, regulations and applicable laws.
* Review files, records and briefs and perform research on legal
* Manage all outside legal counsel for Arizona and Texas.
* Complete and/or coordinate with other departments relating to
accurate and timely reports required for regulatory filings.
* Represent Liberty Utilities at industry workshops at the ACC,
PUCTX and other organizations.
* Manage execution of rate cases, including preparing witnesses
before and during proceedings and hearing before the ACC and
* Support corporate governance functions for affiliates in multiple
Unites States jurisdictions, assist with due diligence relating to
mergers and acquisitions, finance transactions and provide
commercial advice and assistance to the finance, customer service,
operations, engineering and regulatory teams.
* Assist in preparation of financial and cost-based analyses to
support future rates cases.
* Provide legal advise and representation in connection with
general business matters (commercial transactions, contracts,
standardized forms, lease agreements, etc.).
* Provide legal guidance and draft and negotiate contracts relating
to permitting and licensing, property rights, environmental
regulation, vendor agreements and procurement.
* Monitor and manager litigation proceedings involving Liberty
Utilities in Arizona and Texas.
* Provide, upon request and contingent on availability of time,
assistance to other similar utilities owned or controlled by
* React and respond to external and internal queries and requests
relating to various legal issues.
* Assist in corporate initiatives in creating and implementing of
governance and corporate policies.
* Other duties as assigned from time to time.
* Juris Doctor Degree from an accredited law school with at least
five (5) years of experience in general corporate law with an
emphasis and knowledge of regulatory law, contract review, drafting
and negotiating complex commercial agreements required. Must be
licensed to practice law in Arizona and in good standing in all
jurisdictions licensed to practice.
* Willingness and ability to gain license to practice law in other
Liberty Utilities states. Cost of such licensure to be paid by
* Prior legal experience in government and/or regulated utility
environment required as well as experience in operational and
contract matters preferred.
* Understanding of key business issues and requirements of
regulated utilities and resulting implications of specific legal
* Proficient with computer applications including Microsoft Office
Suite and the Internet.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
* Flexible with traveling within the U.S. and Canada required.
* Valid state driver's license and passport required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person s unique
background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full
participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful
Keywords: Liberty Utilities (Canada) Corp, Avondale , Director of Legal Services, Executive , Avondale, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!