Field Program Manager, EHS Solar & Wind
Company: Liberty Utilities (Canada) Corp
Posted on: June 11, 2019
Field Program Manager, EHS Solar & Wind
Liberty Power (formerly Algonquin Power)
Environmental, Health & Safety
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified
generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10+ billion
of total assets. (APUC) delivers continuing growth through an
expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects,
organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission
businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty Utilities) provides rate
regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to
over 750,000+ customers in the United States. The transmission
business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and
natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Liberty Power, formerly known as
Algonquin Power) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term
contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and
thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 1.5+
GW of installed capacity.
Our vision is to be the utility company most admired by customers,
communities and investors for our people, passion and
WE WILL CONSIDER THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE BEING LOCATED IN ANY
LOCATION IN NORTH AMERICA
Mandate: The Field Program Manager, EHS will provide tactical
direction and leadership to the Regional location assigned with
respect to environmental or safety programs. The Field Program
Manager, EHS is responsible for implementation of environmental,
health or safety policies and procedures. The Field Program
Manager, EHS is ultimately responsible for ensuring an effective
EHS compliance program. This position is responsible for driving
EHS standards, policy and procedures; environmental, health and
safety compliance and continuous improvement. The incumbent will be
responsible for continuous development of the health and safety
culture and positively impacting employee engagement. This will be
done by implementing policy, procedures, standards, training, tools
and techniques. This position will be responsible for leading
improvements in our safety risk mitigation process through
collaboration with local leadership.
* Hazard Identification & Hazard Control
* Have a level of knowledge to perform hazard identification, risk
assessments and JHA s for Operations in the region with the goal of
zero incidents (near miss, injuries and illnesses).
* Have a level of knowledge and experience in Safety Observations,
Site Inspections, Reguatory and Other Audits (OSHA/OHSA) and EHS
System Framework Audits in relation to Utilities and Power
Generation (Electrical, Mechanical, Physical, Gravity, Chemical,
* Accountable for documenting, tracking and following-up on
findings/action items and information to local leadership (ie.
written and verbal communication, Gensuite, etc.)
* Implementation of Environment, Health and Safety Framework &
* Ability to effectively promulgate a proactive safety culture and
gain buy-in for corporate initiatives (Drive to Zero, Take Two);
training (Onboarding, Smith Driving); and programs (Gensuite,
SafeStart) across all facilities in the region.
* Have a level of verbal and written communication skills, conflict
resolution abilities and group facilitation skills. Must
collaborate with local leadership for understanding, implementation
and compliance with regulatory requirements, corporate initiatives,
critical tasks, and potential areas of opportunity.
* Proactively engage with all employees across APUC's business
lines to grow their personal ownership of environmental stewardship
both inside and outside the workplace.
* Assist in creating a long term vision to develop a culture
reflective of a commitment toward environmental stewardship.
* Work collaboratively with local leaders and environmental, health
and safety staff with regards to the development and implementation
of company-wide EHS policies and procedures.
* Have advanced knowledge of current and emerging technical and
professional aspects of this position. Ensure staff are aware of
current environmental, health and safety rules and regulations for
* Participate in operating and capitol budget preparations, as
appropriate, to ensure EHS programs and concerns are adequately
* Training & Equipment
* Have a level of verbal and written and communication skills to
educate, train and coach all employees per the EHS Training
* Have the ability to lead effective learning; application of adult
learning principles; various material formats (e-learning, brick
and mortar, on-the-job) and hands-on participant evaluations.
* Ensure that all employees receive adequate training and safety
equipment to safely perform all activities associated with their
role. Select, inspect and train proper use/care/maintenance of
safety equipment (PPE, Guarding, meets industry and regulatory
requirements). Maintain SME and/or train the trainer qualifications
for EHS topics as required.
* Incident Reporting, Incident Management and Incident
* Have a level of knowledge of root cause analysis and
investigation of all incidents at facilities in the region.
Collaborate with local leadership to conduct thorough and timely
* Have a level of knowledge to Perform audits in OSHA and CSA
regulations also in Electrical, Gas, Water, Instrumentation and
Control, Operation, Mechanical and/or Hydraulics, in APCOs and OEMs
turbine models/tools/equipment/assets as required.
* Has the ability to track, trend and develop action plans for
leading and lagging environment, health and safety indicators.
* Adequate computer skills for incident reporting and exchange of
information for lessons learned, etc. (Microsoft Suite -
Word/Excel/PowerPoint, cloud-based Gensuite Software)
* Minimum of 3 5 years management experience in the Solar and Wind
Environmental Health and Safety field in North America
* Broader knowledge of theory and principles within a professional
discipline or advanced knowledge of specific technical/operational
* University degree in a technical field or equivalent
* CRSP, CSP, CUSP designation preferred
* Previous technical training experience
* Relevant experience in environmental compliance
* Understanding of environmental laws and regulations as applicable
to the utility and energy industries in North America
* Experience in remote management and supervision - demonstrated
* Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal
* Superior team building and coaching abilities, both as a leader
and a team member
* Ability to travel within Canada and the United States as
* Successful candidate may office remotely within 1hr radius of any
major US/Canadian airport.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person s unique
background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full
participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful
environment is key to individual and company success. We are
committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees
and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application
process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special
assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please
notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.
Click here for more information on what it\'s like to work here!
Power Your Career
Follow us on
Keywords: Liberty Utilities (Canada) Corp, Avondale , Field Program Manager, EHS Solar & Wind, Executive , Avondale, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!