Data Engineer Mid-Level (Hybrid)
Posted on: September 22, 2022
Purpose of Job
We are seeking dedicated Data Engineers. USAA's Enterprise Data and
Analytics Office (EDAO) is at the center of driving innovation and
industry leadership across Data Management, Advanced Analytics, and
Data Governance. Through a highly collaborative work environment,
our teams are able to meet business demands for both internal and
external clients. Our structure consists of a spoke and hub model,
in which our team serves as the hub for our organization. This
model provides a fast-paced work environment, high executive
visibility as well as supportive career development
Our Data Engineers deliver quality reporting and data intelligence
solutions to the organization and assist client teams with drawing
insights to make advised, data driven decisions. Data Engineers are
engaged in all phases of the data management lifecycle; gather and
analyze requirements, collect, process, store and secure, use,
share and communicate, archive, reuse and repurpose data.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial
security of millions of U.S. military members and their families.
This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking
at every level.
About USAA IT
Our most meaningful qualification isn't technical, it's human.
Here, we don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our
13 million members who rely on us every day.
We're proud of USAA's strong history -- and we're even more
passionate about our future. That's why we have a team of
supportive and collaborative hardworking technology professionals
focused on doing more for our members. And why we're continuing to
add innovative problem solvers to our team. With us, you'll find
exciting challenges that inspire you to continue learning and
USAA values a work culture that is highly collaborative, and we
have found that a hybrid work type helps employees gain the best of
both worlds - collaborating in-person in the office and working
from home when needed to achieve focused deliverables. The actual
days onsite are settled between each employee and the employee's
manager. We have multiple positions available. Candidates are
expected to live a commutable distance from of one of our offices
in San Antonio, TX, Plano, TX, and Phoenix, AZ.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem
from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are
effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for
- Independently conducts work on the full life cycle of data
engineering to include analysis, solution design, data pipeline
engineering, testing, deployment, scheduling, and production
- Design and implement complex technical solutions.
- Design, build, handle and optimize data pipelines for data
structures encompassing data transformation, data models, schemas,
metadata, data quality, and workload management.
- Identifies and solves significant technical problems and
architecture deficiencies to include design, security, and
- Collaborates on design reviews by providing feedback on trends
and makes recommendations for solutions.
- Breaks down business features and into technical stories and
approaches. Influences team members in technical adoption for the
- Creates proof of concepts and prototypes that drive the vision
and the outcome for sophisticated initiatives to be delivered.
- Collaborates with the team and other engineers on new
technologies and alternatives to plan and implement complex
assignments and tasks.
- Helps on-board mid level engineers. May begin mentoring junior
- Acquires data from multiple data sources and maintains
resulting databases, data warehouses, and/or data lakes.
- Assists to develop, maintain, and implement the company's data
development tools and standards. Conducts code reviews on a
periodic basis to improve quality and ensure compliance. Minimum
- Bachelor's degree; OR 4 years of related experience (in
addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be
substituted in lieu of degree; OR Approved certification from
CodeUp, Galvenize, VetFIT (Veterans for IT) or eFIT (Employees for
- 4 years of data engineering, data analysis or software
development experience implementing data solutions with at least 1
year of data engineering or data management experience.
- Extensive knowledge and working experience in SQL and
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- 4+ years' experience developing, deploying and supporting
high-quality, fault-tolerant data pipelines (leveraging
distributed, data movement technologies and approaches, including
but not limited to ETL and streaming ingestion and processing)
- 2 or more years' experience utilizing Linux scripting (Python,
- 3 or more years' experience in SQL development and/or NoSQL
- 1 or more years' experience with cloud-based data offerings
(Amazon AWS, Redshift, Snowflake, Google GCP, Microsoft Azure)
- Experience with ETL Tools (Informatica, DataStage, Data Build
- 1 or more years of experience working with Agile Development
Methodologies The above description reflects the details considered
necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should
not be construed as a detailed description of all the work
requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective process for assessing market data and
establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid
within the salary range based on your experience and market
position. The salary range for this position is: $88,200 -
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall
corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the
USAA Board of Directors.
Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is
additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations
where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual-basis for
applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their
physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include
comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension,
life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time
off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and
various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning
and continuing education assists employees with their professional
Please click on the link below for more details.
USAA Total Rewards
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
Keywords: USAA, Avondale , Data Engineer Mid-Level (Hybrid), Engineering , Avondale, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!